Eparchial Council Meeting, December 9th, 2016
The Eparchial Council Meeting was held Friday, December 9th, 2016, under the presidency of His Eminence Nicolae, Romanian Orthodox Archbishop of the United States of America and Metropolitan of the Romanian Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas, at the Eparchial Center of Ss. Constantine and Helen Cathedral in Chicago. The meeting evaluated church activities from 2016 and decided the enthronement dates of HE Metropolitan Nicolae in Chicago and of HG Bishop Ioan Casian in Montreal.
The meeting started with HE Nicolae reporting on the events that took place in Bucharest: the Holy Synod meeting from October 28-29th, 2016 where the following historical decisions were made concerning the church life of the Romanian Orthodox from the Americas:
- the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada was founded;
- the Romanian Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas was founded and it is composed of two dioceses: the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese of the United States of America and the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada;
- the elevation to the dignity of Metropolitan of His Eminence Archbishop Nicolae;
- the election of His Grace Bishop Ioan Casian as Diocesan Bishop of the new Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada.
The ceremony of elevation to the rank of Metropolitan was held on October 30th, 2016 at the Patriarchal Cathedral in Bucharest.
The Eparchial Council decided the enthronement dates to be as follows:
1. The Enthronement of His Eminence Nicolae will be held on SUNDAY APRIL 30, 2017 at Ss. Constantine and Helen Cathedral in Chicago, IL. The services will be presided over by the delegate of His Beatitude Daniel, Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church. Other American Orthodox hierarchs from the USA will be invited.
2. The Enthronement of His Grace Ioan Casian will be held on SUNDAY May 7, 2017 at St. George Romanian Orthodox Church in St. Hubert, QC. The services will be presided over by His Eminence Nicolae. A delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church and Orthodox Hierarchs from Canada will be present.
Both enthronements will be preceded on Saturday by an EXTRAORDINARY CONGRESS of the respective Diocese that will have on the Agenda the election of the new Eparchial Council and other administrative issues. A detailed schedule of the ceremonies will be announced in early 2017.
On the agenda of the Council were also other pastoral, missionary, and administrative issues:
- the report of the registration committee of the new dioceses with the American and Canadian authorities and the steps that need to be taken;
- administrative and pastoral issues from some of the parishes of our Metropolia;
- 2016 financial reports;
- early activity reports of some of the diocesan departments.
In closing the meeting Metropolitan Nicolae thanked both clergy and lay members of the Council for their effective involvement in the pastoral, missionary and social-philanthropic programs of the Archdiocese and mentioned that this meeting was the last one to be held in this American-Canadian formula. He added that the two enthronements should be an occasion of great joy and spiritual fulfillment.
V. Rev. Fr. Daniel Adrian Ene
Secretary of the Eparchial Council